Tuesday, April 10, 2012

F is for Feminism; a Definition


Consider this the counterpart to “C is for Christianity; a Definition.”  Due to the obvious constraints of A2Z, I was not able to put them together.

Going back to our dear friend dictionary.com, I was very surprised to find that the actual term was not coined in the 1960’s like so many of us believe.  It was, in fact first used sometime between 1890 and 1895, around the start of the suffragettes movement.   The definitions are as follows;

1. the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men.

2. ( sometimes initial capital letter ) an organized movement for the attainment of such rights for women.

3. feminine character.



Once again, the website knows how to do it right.  Those definitions are clear and concise, if they are anything at all.

I am in concurrence with the first definition.  In the job field, in education, or in regards to victims of crimes, women and men must be treated equal.

HOWEVER

One must consider the fact that we have equipment men do not.  We have the ability to truly procreate and give birth.  The world at large, specifically the contemporary first world, mistakenly views this as a liability.  True, if a female coworker does become pregnant, they do have to be concerned with the logistics of maternity leave.  Believe you me, I can sympathize with that since I have had jobs where tedious logistics bogged me down and prevented me from doing my actual job. 

HOWEVER

That does not excuse the way women have to fight and even de-genderize themselves (more on that later) to get any attention in the workforce and academia.  I do not agree with girls being told they cannot major in one thing or another because they lack the proper genitals.  I do not agree with the way women are treated like they are lower than men when we are in fact the superior of the species.

After all, we give birth.

1 comment:

Elise said...

Well said. I don't believe women should be judged for their gender, through sadly it does happen. But I don't want to be seen as you say Genderless either. I am a woman and proud of being such. I know I won't ever be equal to a man in certain areas, BUT I have certain strengths as a woman a man will never have. Hail to the V boys :D