Wednesday, April 11, 2012

G is for Gender Roles

Let’s face it folks, within our species, we have genders; Male and Female.  The difference between the two should be obvious, and if you don’t know them, well, I am afraid I can’t help you out there, chief. 
Now, I am all about girls being able follow their dreams and become whatever they want to be.  Does that mean it should be easy, and things should be handed to you?  I should hear a resounding, “NO!” from my audience of 5.  I heard a quote a while ago that stuck with me, “My mother told me I could be anything I wanted to be, as long I was willing to work harder and be better at it then the person next to me.”
I do realize that this image of following your dreams is heavily influenced by the fact that I am (half) a first generation American.  Like so many other immigrants, my father’s family came to this country for a better life than the one they left behind.  They had to work at it, but not only did my father and his siblings achieve that goal, but those of my generation are doing that as well.
But I digress.
Women should not prevented from earning less than a man.  Nor should she completely degenderize herself so that she can do just that.  A women can totally keep up with the boys without having to be one herself.  You know what I am talking about.
College professors are similar.  I remember in undergrad have one female professor who dressed like a women and did not have a very short haircut.  She was ridiculed by students and colleagues alike.
One last thing.
While I am not one to advocate the whole barefoot in the kitchen thing, I do think that if a women decides to have a child, she should spend as much time with that child as she can. 
There, I said it.
G is also for ginger rolls.  Your welcome, Michelle.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's much better than "My parents told me I could be anything I wanted so I did nothing."

I agree with these things greatly though, especially spending time with your children. I think that's important for both parents, should it be possible.